Simple Olive Oil Polenta Recipe
Polenta is hearty, delicious and quite versatile. Use as a side dish as prepared in this recipe, or as a gluten free substitute for pasta and simply spoon your favorite sauce over the polenta! Or, use this polenta with our delicious recipe for short ribs with a balsamic reduction.
For an amazing appetizer, spread cooked polenta on an oiled sheet pan and chill in refrigerator until firm. Cut firm polenta into triangles and brush with olive oil, then grill triangles or fry until crisp but not burned. Spread sundried tomato pesto (try our Red Pesto-with-Truffles!) or basil pesto on hot triangles and finish with more EVOO and Parmesan cheese.
- 4 cups salted water OR low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup polenta style ground cornmeal
1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbs TAO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tsp TAO garlic olive oil + more for finishing: our vegan butter olive oil would be an excellent substitute for the garlic olive oil
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Red pepper flakes, crushed (optional)
- Boil 4 cups of salted water (or chicken or vegetable stock) in a medium sauce pot. Slowly add in 1 cup of polenta and reduce heat to medium.
- Add 1 tsp garlic powder, fresh ground black pepper to taste, 1 Tbs TAO EVOO and 2 tsp of TAO garlic olive oil (or butter olive oil).
- Reduce to a simmer immediately and stir occasionally for about 20-25 minutes when the polenta comes to a smooth and creamy consistency.
- Ladle hot polenta into bowls and drizzle the top with garlic or butter olive oil or your favorite TAO EVOO. (Optionally, sprinkle with crushed red pepper flakes.)