Avgelomono is a comforting Greek chicken, lemon, egg, and rice soup (read penicillin). It’s one of my absolute favorite soups to enjoy on a chilly winter day. I’ve taken a very standard interpretation of avgelomono and added a savory, spicy note of freshly made Baklouti Agrumato Olive Oil to the party. After tasting the before and after, it would be easy to argue that the ingredients in this recipe were simply line-dancing until the Baklouti showed up at the party and started break-dancing.
The green fruit of the peppers we crushed with olives in our mill marries perfectly with the bright lemon, creamy rice, and savory chicken here. It almost begs the question of why the original Greek recipe doesn’t include this phenomenal fused olive oil in the first place.
The sweet earthiness of the golden beets, along with the salty blue cheese or parmesan (a salted burrata would be great here!), nutty arugula, tangy tangerines, and olive oil make this salad a stand out! Beyond that, the impeccably fresh seasonal ingredients are visually arresting, and resemble a ray of golden sunshine on the plate.
- 3 medium sized golden beets
- 2 in medium tangerines 1 peeled and divided into segments, the other juiced
- 1 Tablespoon Honeybell Orange Balsamic
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/3 cup good quality crumbled blue cheese or shaved parmesan or salted burrata
- sea salt to taste
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup Basil Croutons – or store bought croutons see recipe below
- 2 cups of fresh or day old sourdough bread cut in to 1/2″ cubes 1/4 cup Basil Olive Oil (or you can use any infused olive oil you desire) 1/2 teaspoon salt fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup Basil Olive Oil (or you can use any infused olive oil you desire, like Rosemary or Leek)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper to taste
Preheat the oven to 350. Scrub the beets removing any debris, roots and green parts. Place the beets on a piece of aluminum foil large enough to fully enclose the beets in to a package. Drizzle the beets with a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil, a sprinkle of sea salt, and 1 tablespoon of water. Seal the package by crimping the foil and roast the beets for 1 hour or until tender when pierced with a knife. Allow to cool and then peel. Cut the beets in to six wedges and set aside.
Just before serving, whisk the tangerine juice with the Honeybell Orange balsamic and a pinch of salt. Slowly drizzle in the remaining olive oil while whisking constantly to make a vinaigrette. In a large bowl, gently toss the arugula with 1/2 of the vinaigrette and then arrange on a plate or platter. Arrange the tangerine segments, golden beet wedges, and blue cheese or parmesan cheese or burrata over the arugula. Drizzle the rest of the dressing over the top, then add the croutons, and finish with fresh ground pepper if desired. Serve immediately.
Preheat the oven to 375. On a baking sheet large enough to hold the bread cubes in a single layer, toss the bread cubes with the infused olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and fresh ground pepper if desired. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until the bread cubes are golden brown. Cool and store in a zip lock bag or air tight container. Makes 2 cups of croutons.